Elevator Buttons

The best elevator button? My vote: ><

When the car is loaded and we're ready to ride, I will push that blasted button like I'm ringing the front door of the only house for miles during a sudden downpour. I push it hard and often and with feeling. And if someone else is standing closer to the button panel, I mentally will them to push it -- push it, puuuush it -- almost to the point of asking politely if I might borrow their finger for a moment. (Elevator etiquette frowns upon this unseemly request.)

But this elevator-themed New Yorker article says the "close doors" button doesn't work in most elevators. In fact, it is there simply to make you feel as if you are in control. But I still -- must -- push -- it -- want -- to -- push -- it --

















Flickr image by Tim Parkinson